Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's Pedicure Time!



Well, it's way past pedicure time... but I finally did it today.

With 4 whippets, I do their nails myself. That's 16 paws' worth of nails LOL! Takes me about 45 or more minutes.

I can't use a clipper anymore.. I've accidently gotten the quick on each of the Girls and if they see the clipper, they RUN - litterally!

Here's what DOES work for us!

First, I use a Dremmel tool. I pictured it here with the exact attachment I use. When I first found out about doing dogs' nails with a Dremmel, I couldn't figure it out. Turns out, I was using the wrong attachment!

Since whippets have short fur, there's no danger of getting their fur caught in the tool.

Second: I bribe them! There is one treat that they absolutely LOVE and they ONLY get it at pedicure time. It's a sugary paste called Nutrical. They only get a little... but they are crazy for it. I give them a few licks before we start, and then another few licks after each paw. If I try to speed it up and try to do 2 paws before a treat... I hear about it LOL!

Third: We do this in a small room... the hall bathroom. This helps keep them from trying to get away. I spread one of the thick dog blankets on the floor to make it more comfy for both the Girls and myself. I sit crosslegged on the floor, get each whippet to sit in my lap and take a paw.

I may be making it sound a lot easier than it is.... I need to keep them in my lap, keep them from pulling their leg away (without breaking their leg), keep their nose and tongue away from the Dremmel as it can cause major damage (ask me... I did it to MYSELF! - but never the girls!) and I also need to be sure not to sand the cord as I'm trying to keep each girl from wiggling away.

Oh yeah... you should use safety glasses too cause boy does that nail sand fly!

All that said, this really does work best for us. Doing it this way I am able to give their nails rounded edges so they aren't lethally right after being done.

As each Girl is finished, I open the bathroom door to let her out, and call the next one in. Believe it or not... they actually DO come in! Gotta be that Nutrical LOL!

I'd say Cleopatra is the best about this. She just lies there resignedly knowing that the less she wiggles... the faster it gets done!

2 comments:

Bev said...

now I'm wondering if I can use this little trick on a big black lab!

So far she doesn't run from the clippers but I have nipped too far and "quicked" her, and I felt AWFUL!!

We definately have a dremel...I may give it a try!

Nancy D said...

Working for a Veterinarian for 15 years, I have restrained more than my share of dogs(and cats) while having their nails clipped and I have the scars to prove it. My two let me cut theirs by myself but they are not happy about it even with treats before and after.